Saturday 18 February 2012

Not a good place to live if you want to travel.

I sometimes wonder if living some way from a major city is a hurdle to travel. I do have an airport on my doorstep, and it does have a range of domestic and ex-pat destinations (ie areas with a large British population), but most flights operate either weekly or a random selection of days, which doesn’t make it easy to plan a short break away. Plus the local airline is very expensive due to lack of competition. There are more flights from a larger airport about 70 miles away, but again they are mostly to holiday destinations but there are at least some flights to major cities (and long haul connections via Dublin, Paris and Amsterdam). Heathrow of course is about 3-4 hours away.




I guess when trying to do Europe on a budget it can be a bit off-putting that 2 days parking at the airport costs more then the flight does! (when flying from my city's airport I take the bus) I’m jealous of those who are within stepping distance of somewhere like Heathrow. Of course my finances are probably better off if I’m not near Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted.



Needless to say I do have some plans in the making, even if I will have to pay the parking...

No comments:

Post a Comment